SHOW NOTES: We Want To Talk About Palestine
From the Grounded Geeks podcast / your co-hosts Aman and Lena
Aside from being a real place, Palestine is also the name of a graphic novel written and illustrated by Joe Sacco in 1993. It was groundbreaking back then not just for introducing the power of comics journalism, but also for the actual reporting he brought back about Palestinians and what they were going through, and continue to endure today. We were a little anxious about recording this episode because quite frankly, whenever anyone tends to dwell on Palestine or talk about things from their perspective, they’re told off as being anti-semitic. You don’t have to agree with us about a conflict that’s been devastating lives on all sides for decades, but we think we should be able to agree that Joe Sacco’s graphic novel is worth talking about. And aside from that, on this episode we also talk about the role “objectivity” plays in journalism and whether we have hope for the future. It’s a good one.
Check out our latest episode on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and anywhere else you can listen to podcasts! And be sure to tell us your thoughts on Twitter. The Grounded Geeks theme song is brought to you by Feyzan Beats.
Some links to help you geek out EVEN MORE:
- Read more about the version that Aman and Lena read: https://www.fantagraphics.com/products/palestine
- The Groundbreaking Honesty of Joe Sacco’s Comics Journalism
- An article that recommends more graphic novels about history that you can read! Graphic Novels About History Are A ‘Paradigm Shift’ In How People Learn About The Past
- BBC News: Israel-Gaza violence: The conflict explained (some history)
- United Nations: History of the Question of Palestine (some more history)
- This site, B’Tselem — The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, has good information around the conflict.
- Learning for Justice: Resources for Learning About Israel and Palestine
- This was a good Throughline episode about Palestine
- And this podcast just launched last year
- Ooh this one too:
- And THIS podcast is hosted by a Palestinian-American lawyer and a Jewish-American comedian who “break down the latest Palestine-related news with commentary and interviews every week.”
And we’ll end with this playlist titled Palestine Hip-Hop. There might be some new songs you’ll want to add to your favorites!