SHOW NOTES: We Are Lady Parts—Each and Every One Of Us
From the Grounded Geeks podcast / your co-hosts Aman and Lena
Welcome to another episode from Grounded Geeks! This week we talked about a positively delightful, hilariously spot on comedy called We Are Lady Parts. This is a fairly new show, written and directed by Nida Manzoor, streaming on Peacock (NBC’s streaming app) and it’s about five amazing British Muslim women—shown above—who start their own punk band. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and you’ll also be jamming to their songs the whole time. But our favorite part about this show is that we finally get to see a diverse breadth and variety within an underrepresented group. So many times Muslims are portrayed on screen as a token, a one off. But this show does something entirely different. To quote Saira, the lead singer, “We’re sisters. Our music is about representation, it’s about being heard.” And that’s exactly what they accomplish in this show, but not for all the 1.7 billion Muslims around the world—but for themselves.
Check out our latest episode on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and anywhere else you can listen to podcasts! And be sure to tell us your thoughts on Twitter. The Grounded Geeks theme song is brought to you by Feyzan Beats.
Some links to help you geek out EVEN MORE:
- Freddie Mercury and Virginie Despentes: What ‘We Are Lady Parts’ Is Made Of
- This Goes Way Beyond Representation — A Review of ‘We Are Lady Parts’
- Whatever You Thought “We Are Lady Parts” Was Going to Be, This Ain’t It
- Here’s some context that’s important to understand around Muslim representation → Missing and Maligned: This landmark research on Muslim portrayals in film from the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative highlights the need for more nuanced stories.
- Last but certainly not least, you gotta listen to their album, even if you (for some inexplicable reason) don’t end up watching the show.
And finally, because we love We Are Lady Parts so much, here are multiple GIFs for you to enjoy from the show: