SHOW NOTES: Stop Being a Sh*tass and Watch Reservation Dogs
From the Grounded Geeks podcast / your co-hosts Aman and Lena
Seriously why has it taken so long for Hollywood (or any American TV studios) to make a show solely about Native Americans? Well never mind…we all know the answer to that is systemic racism and discrimination. ANYWHO thank you to Sterlin Harjo and Taika Waititi for bringing us the TV show Reservation Dogs (streaming now on Hulu), which everybody should really be watching if you haven’t already. Not only will it make you laugh AND cry, but you’ll also realize how much sh*t they leave out in our U.S. history textbooks. The U.S. would pretty much be nothing without the contributions from Indigenous communities. So stop being a sh*tass and go watch this show. Feel something, learn something.
Check out our latest episode on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and anywhere else you can listen to podcasts! And be sure to tell us your thoughts on Twitter. The Grounded Geeks theme song is brought to you by Feyzan Beats.
Some links to help you geek out EVEN MORE:
If you don’t believe anything we’ve said about this show, then just watch the trailer
- Definitely worth checking out this article, which was written by Devery Jacobs who plays Elora in the show: How Reservation Dogs Is Opening Up a Crucial Conversation About Suicide in Indigenous Communities
- 6 Ridiculous Lies You Believe About the Founding of America
- The Native American Government That Inspired the US Constitution
- Here’s a link to that PDF about the Iroquois Confederacy of Nations that Aman was talking about.
- Take a break from reading these articles and rock out to this playlist from the show 🎵
- And then read some more: “Reservation Dogs” Is a Near-Perfect Study of Dispossession
- “Reservation Dogs” creator on evolving the show’s representation & storytelling: “It’s not finished”
- This seems like a really good book for all of us to read: An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States